Sunday, October 21, 2018

Poetry for Kids: Carl Sandburg edited by Kathryn Benzel, illustrated by Robert Crawford


When I asked my Kiddo if she was familiar with the poetry of Carl Sandburg, her response stunned me. She knew the name, but not the poetry. Why? They just didn't teach poetry in any of the public schools she attended - and some of those schools were top tier in NYC. So, I gave her a copy of Poetry for Kid: Carl Sandburg and asked her to read some. The verdict: she loved most of the poems included in this volume.

There are 35 free verse poems included in this book that are divided into two categories: Poems about People and Poems about Places. Sandburg was a prolific poet and it must have been a hard decision picking out the poems to include that would also appeal to young readers. One of the things I always liked about Sandburg's poetry is the visual imagery he always managed to create with his word choices, while also setting just the right mood, tone, and emotion.

This is a wonderful collection of some of Sandburg's best poetry and it will hopefully find a place in America's homes and/or classrooms. Each of the poems is accompanied by an expressive full-color illustration that supports what the poem is about. There are definitions on many of the pages for things that may be unfamiliar to young readers today. And answers to What Carl Was Thinking when he wrote each poem can be found at the end of the book, as well as an index. With so many excellent novels being written in verse these days, teachers may find that their students are not open to reading and appreciating older poetry as well, and you can't do better than this lovely volume.

Halloween was my Kiddo's favorite holiday, so it is no surprise that this was her favorite poem:
Theme in Yellow
I spot the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o'-lantern
With terrible teeth
and the children know 
I am fooling. 

This book is recommended for readers age 8+
This book was an EARC received from Edelweiss-Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs