Monday, June 17, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? #4

 

It's Monday! What are you reading? is the original weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  It's Monday! What are you reading? - from Picture Books to YA is a kidlit focused meme just like the original and is hosted weekly by Teach Mentor Texts.  The purpose is the same: to recap what you have read and/or reviewed and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week.

Last week, was not my best reading week.  I had lots of company and it was the 6 month anniversary of the Sandy Hook School shooting in which my cousins 7 year old son Daniel was killed.  It was a hard day Friday, but I went to a gun safety rally at city hall in NYC.  

Bookwise, i read the following:


I loved Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet by Andrea Cheng as well as What's in the Garden by Marianne Berkes

Sadly, I was not quite as enamored with Hero on a Bicycle by Shirley Hughes, her first novel, or by An Elephant in the Garden by Michael Morpurgo, who has written over 100 novels.  Both are reviewed at my other blog, The Children's War.

This week, I have a whole bunch of books to read and they all look good (and I hope they are).

Picture books include:

1- Spin to Sea by Izra Fitch
2- Bye-Bye Baby Brother! by Sheena Dempsey
3- Grandma and the Great Gourd retold by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
4- The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman
5- The Mystery of Darwin's Frog by Marty Crump


Middle Grade books include (well, except for that one picture book that snuck in with the MGs):
1- A Big Guy Took My Ball! by Mo Willems
2- Every Day After by Laura Golden
3- Beholding Bee by Kimberly Newton Fusco
4- Paperboy by Vince Vawter
What are you reading this week?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Alex, I also reviewed a picture book biography of Dave the Potter - the one that won the Caldecott Medal that year if I am not mistaken. Different from the one you shared here, but also very beautiful. I'm curious to know your thoughts about those two novels you weren't so keen about. :) Thanks for sharing your insights! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs