Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Reading Challenges

For some reason, I did not do all that well with my reading challenges last year.  It wasn't like I went overboard with the number of reading challenges I chose or that I chose to read just too may large books.

So far this year, I have decided to do only one reading challenges.  I would like a YA and picture book challenge but haven't found any that appeal to me, so if you hear of any, perhaps you will let me know.  I am kind of hoping that Alyson at Kid Lit Frenzy will host another year of her Nonfiction Picture Book challenge.


The one reading challenge I am going to participate in is the 2014 Newbery Reading Challenge hosted by Julie at Smiling Shelves.  This challenge is done a little differently than most.  I'll let Julie explain it.

Each book you read is worth points. You get:

  • 3 points for a Newbery Medal Winner
  • 2 points for a Newbery Honor Book
  • 1 point for a Caldecott Medal Winner (Gotta give the picture books some love, too.)
In addition to that, you pick a level to aim for:
  • L'Engle: 15 - 29 points
  • Spinelli: 30 - 44 points
  • Avi: 45 - 59 points
  • Lowry: 60 - 74 points
  • Konigsburg: 75+ points

Given how things went last year, I think I will go for the L'Engle level to begin with.  

Have any reading challenges attracted your attention yet?

1 comment:

  1. I've got several challenges I'm doing based on mysteries or other things I already read. Still hoping to find a more general middle grade reading challenge myself, not that I need another reading challenge.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs