Friday, April 24, 2015

Poetry Friday: Earth Day by Jane Yolen



Poetry Friday is a weekly meme, hosted this week by Renee at No Water River.  Thanks for hosting this week, Renee. 

I know Earth Day 2015 is over but I thought I would post this poem by Jane Yolen anyway to remind us that earth day is really should be everyday.


   
Earth Day

    I am the Earth
    And the Earth is me.
    Each blade of grass,
    Each honey tree,
    Each bit of mud,
    And stick and stone
    is blood and muscle,
    Skin and bone.

    And just as I
    Need every bit
    Of me to make
    My body fit,
    So Earth needs
    Grass and stone and tree
    And things that grow there
    Naturally.

    That's why we
    Celebrate this day.
    That's why across
    The world we say:
    As long as life,
    As dear, as free,
    I am the Earth
    And the Earth is me.

"Earth Day" by Jane Yolen
The Three Bears Holiday Rhyme Book
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1995 32 pages

5 comments:

  1. I adore this book, but had forgotten there was an Earth Day poem in it. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten there was an Earth Day poem in this book, too, until I was cleaning shelves and went through some of my poetry books and found it. It's a great book.

      Delete
  2. It's another Jane Yolen book I don't know! The poem is lovely, wish I had had it earlier this week, Alex. Lovely selection for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I will say, Jane Yolen is really a prolific writer. I am always surprised by what I find by her that I don't know or have forgotten. I agree, this is a really nice Earth Day poem.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs