Monday, May 16, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is the original weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, but is now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date It's Monday! What are you reading? - from Picture Books to YA is a kidlit focused meme just like the original and is hosted weekly by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers .  The purpose is the same: to recap what you have read and/or reviewed and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. Twitter for #IMWAYR

I've been down for the count the last few days, recovering from a minor medical procedure, so I haven't been reading as much as usual.  I did participate in Armchair BEA for the first two days and I also posted about one of my favorite books so far this year, which is 

and illustrated by Francis Vallejo

This is a book of 33 poems describing one summer morning when jazz musicians showed up for a photograph on the steps of a Harlem brownstone in New York City and it is written from various perspectives, including the musicians and some of the neighborhood kids who were there. 

I've also been reading some books for Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.  I've been trying to find books written by authors who either come from or are the children of parents or grandparents from Asia and the Pacific Islands and are about their heritage.  It isn't easy, but I found some.  I hope to start posting about them soon (before the month is over).  

My TBR stacks seem to grow higher and higher by the day - good thing I didn't go to BEA this year. Even so,  I was lucky enough to receive copies of the following books which I will be reading and reviewing soon:

Thunder Boy Jr. by Sherman Alexie, 
illustrated by Yuyi Morales

Roy's House by Susan Goldman Rubin, 
art by Roy Lichtenstein
Are We There Yet? written and illustrated by Dan Santat

The Airport Book written and illustrated by Lisa Brown

I also have a few middle grade novels to read soon:

1- Counting Thyme by Melanie Conklin
2- The Land of Forgotten Girls by Erin Entrada Kelly
3- The Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

I can't wait to get started.

What are you reading this week?

2 comments:

  1. Excited about Thunder Boy too! Looking forward to your Asia-Pacific book list - this is one of our areas of study next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, hope you feel a little better today.
    Jazz day sounds like a fascinating read I will have to look out for it.
    I swear my TBR stack multiplies without me even adding to it!
    At the moment, I’m reading and thoroughly enjoying The chosen by Kristina Ohlsson, the cover tells me she is Sweden’s favourite crime writer – I wouldn’t know about that, but this book is good!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs