Monday, February 18, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? - from picture books to YA is a kidlit meme hosted weekly by Jen at Teacher Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers. The purpose is to recap what you have read and/or reviewed and to plan out your reading for the upcoming week. Twitter #IMWAYR

Last week was an exciting week because the Cybils awards were announced on Valentines Day. It was a lot of fun being the category chair for Middle Grade Fiction and I would like to offer my congratulations to Varian Johnson, whose book The Parker Inheritance was awarded the MG Cybils award:

Read and Reviewed (links are to my reviews):


by Deborah Hopkinson
Alfred A. Knopf BFYR, 2019, 272 pages
Bertie Bradshaw, 12, unwittingly becomes involved in a mystery involving the D-Day invasion after he finds a notebook written in code. 

by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer
Dial Books, 2019, 304 pages
When their dads fall in love, free spirit Bett from California and cautious Avery from NYC, both 12, are sent to camp to get to know each other with some interesting results.

by Tanita S. Davis
Alfred A. Knopf BFYR, 2009, 352 pages
On a road trip to a family reunion, Mare tells her teenage granddaughters about her experiences in the  6999th Central Postal Directory Battalion, the only African American WACs to serve overseas in WWII.

Currently Rereading:
The Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson
Arthur A. Levine Books, 2018, 331 pages

Upcoming Reviews:


Waiting for Pumpsie by Barry Wittenstein, illustrated by London Ladd
The Bell Rang written and illustrated by James E. Ransome
Grandpa Stops A War by Susan Robeson, illustrated by Rod Brown
A Song for Gwendolyn Brooks by Alice Faye Duncan, illustrated by Xia Gordon
Hands Up! by Breanna J. McDaniel, illustrated by Shane W. Evans

and
Under My Hijab by Hena Khan, illustrated by Aaliya Jaleel
Mommy's Khimar by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow, illustrated by Ebony Glenn

What have you been reading?

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, the Cybils awards were so exciting! I meant to briefly discuss my joy in today's #imwayr post, but too many plates spinning. Nevertheless, I was extremely happy to read about all the finalists and WINNERS. The Parker Inheritance was one of my FAVORITE books of 2018 -- so incredibly happy for Varian Johnson. I was also delighted to see Nevermoor win for Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. I have been pushing this series everywhere I can because the writing and world building is fantastic. I think many are afraid of the length, but it's such a quick, addictive read that it was no time before I was grabbing up book #2. In any case, I'm so grateful to all the judges for your dedication and time commitment. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your committee chose a great book, Alex. I enjoyed The Parker Inheritance very much. I've noted "How I Became A Spy" & am excited to read "Hands Up", on its way from the library. Thanks for sharing so many that I'll put on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a CYBILS second round panelist for Fiction Picture Books and Board Books and it was so much fun to read the books and discuss them with the other panelists. It's so hard to choose winners. Glad you enjoyed your participation, too. Congratulations on picking a terrific winner. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being the category chair for MG fiction! I've had Varian Johnson's book on my TBR list for a while. My latest read is on reviewed on my blog: https://mybrainonbooks.blogspot.com/2019/02/song-for-whale-by-lynne-kelly.html

    I am currently reading ONE by Sarah Crossan, a YA novel in verse about conjoined twins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed The Parker Inheritance very much. Sounds like such fun choosing from some really great books this year. There are some other intriguing reads on your list this week, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed working on the Cybils this year. I think we made excellent choices in the graphic novel category, but there were many stellar options.
    The Parker Inheritance was a delightful surprise for me last year so I am very happy that it won!
    To Night Owl from Dogfish is on my list to read as soon as my library brings it in.
    I'm going to be looking forward to reading your upcoming reviews next week. I'm working in a library for the next month or so and have been trying to find books written by black authors as a way of celebrating Black History Month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always look forward to the Cybils winners, so many great winners every year!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs