Friday, March 1, 2019

Poetry Friday: March by John Updike


Today's Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted today by Linda at Teacher Dance, a poet in her own right. 

I don't share poems my young readers and I really love often enough on Poetry Friday, even though we read a poetry all the time. One of our favorite poetry books is A Child's Calendar by John Updike and illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman and so I thought that since today is the first day of March, I would share the poem by the same name. Holiday House has just released a 20th Anniversary edition of A Child's Calendar and just in time, our old copy is falling apart. I hope you enjoy this poem as much as we do:

Today is also St. David's Day, and, for anyone out there who are Welsh, I wish you a 

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus

4 comments:

  1. I think you and I could trade favorite books, Alex. This is one of them, with wonderful poems and those illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman are fabulous. But, I didn't know there was a new edition out! Will find it! The poem is just right, isn't it? That "The sun is nervous as a kite, that can't quite keep its own string tight" - wonderful. We have good sunny warmth today, then cold and snow on the weekend, the string weakens. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem, and I hope March brings some of this our way. We received another 2" of snow today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem and art, thanks for sharing both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet poem! For a time there I almost forgot it wasn't writing about our March. It almost felt like it could be an Aussie Autumn poem. (Though March is usually a bit warmer than this March.)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs