Sunday, March 23, 2014

What's Your Favorite Animal? by Eric Carle and Friends

There are two ways that children ask the same question. The first way is: "If you could be any animal in the world, what would it be?" And the second way is the much simpler, more direct "what's your favorite animal?"

Well, Eric Carle and 13 of his illustrator friends were always asked the second question, and this is the book their answers became.  And what an absolutely enchanting book it is.  In a two page spread, each artist illustrates his favorite animal and tells why it has achieved favorite status for him or her.

I oohed and ahhed over some, like Eric Carle's Cats; I laugh over others, like Nick Bruel's favorite, which not surprisingly isn't Bad Kitty; and I nodded my head in agreement over Tom Lichtenheld's giraffe, because that is my favorite, too.

And there are penguins and rabbits and elephants and horses and all kind of animals, each drawn in their illustrator's own inimitable style and medium:

The illustrator's and their animals on the back
of the dust jacket

This is a very cool book and it will no doubt generate all kinds of inspiration among its young readers, who might want to recreate this book with things like their family or friend's favorite animals, complete with illustrations and reasons why.

And if that isn't enough, kids should get out those Crayola's or paints or whatever their favorite illustrating tools are and draw their own favorite animals, because along with an exhibition of original work by the illustrators from this wonderfully colorful book, The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is inviting people to create illustrations depicting their favorite animal.  And because the submission must be in digital form, it means it is open to anyone, anywhere.  Here is a wonderful chance for all budding artists to hang with the best of them.

For more information and submission guidelines, visit The "What's Your Favorite Animal? Project.

But, wait, there's more:

All proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art.  If you haven't been to the museum in Amherst, MA, but are planning a trip there, you are in for a real treat.  When my Kiddo was at Mount Holyoke College, and I went up to visit her, The Eric Carle Museum was one of my favorite places to visit.  So pick up a copy of What's Your Favorite Animal? and have some fun.

This book is recommended for animal lovers of all ages
This book was purchased for my personal library

8 comments:

  1. I want to visit and take my grandchildren to this museum because I love Eric Carl's work. This new book sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a wonderful place. I met Allen Say there once, which was very exciting. And there is so much to do in that area, besides the Eric Carle, like visiting the excellent Odessy book store.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this book. My kids LOVE animals, and I love when they draw animals and they look like a mishmosh of other animals. The line up for this book is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks wonderful. I passed this up when offered, I may have to look at this one again. Thanks for the review and for commenting on my review else I would not have noticed the terrific What's Your Favorite Animal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks fantastic - am adding it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just bought this book myself and I'm obsessed. Such an awesome concept and round up of unique illustrators.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this one too.

    I love the idea of getting the crayons out - this would make a fab classroom project, especially with the little narratives attached!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful book-something that will get those imaginary juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs