Monday, January 22, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It’s Monday! What are you reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It’s Monday! What are you reading? - from Picture Books to YA is a kid lit focused meme just like the original and is hosted weekly by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers. The purpose is the same: to recap what you have read and/or reviewed and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. Twitter: #IMWAYR 

Last Week's Adventures in Reading

Last week, to honor him on his 209th birthday January 19th, we read Poe: Stories and Poems, a Graphic Novel Adaptation by Gareth Hinds. I still remember the thrill of reading The Tell-Tale Heart when I was in 5th or 6th grade, and I couldn't get enough Poe after that. I was curious to see how my young readers would react to this graphic work about some of Poe's more famous stories. They loved this book and now I have a list of kids who want to borrow it it reread. I think, Poe's horror is so much more effective than most of what you find in today's stories, with the exception of Stephen King, who can still creep me out. Poe: Stories and Poems has truly beautiful renderings of each tale, and for the most part, done in dark, earthy colors, really enhancing the scare factor. Annabel Lee is the bright spot in the book (and I say that very tongue in cheek), done in seaside tones of golden sand, and a blue-green sea. Included stories, besides The Tell-Tale Heart and Annabel Lee are The Masque of the Red Death, The Cask of Amontillado, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Bells, and what would a collection of Poe's stories be without The Raven. 

Last week, I also reviewed two fun picture books: 


And the winner of the 2018 Sydney Taylor Book Award for Older Readers:

I also a few books for the 2017 Middle Grade Fiction Cybils award. Cybils winners will be announced on February 14, 2018. 

This week, we are focusing on some of our favorite poetry books:

What are you reading this week?

5 comments:

  1. The Great Dictionary Caper looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got The Blue Road, will read it soon, Alex. And love hearing about the Poe book. I love him too, imagine that I will enjoy this book! Have you read the graphic "The Graveyard Book" by Gaiman? It's wonderful. Thanks for the picture books, new titles, and I have The Librarian of Auschwitz, really looking forward to reading it! Enjoy the poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lots of great selections here. I have seen a lot people feature Don't Forget Dexter, but so far my library doesn't have it. :( BN might though. The Poe Graphic novels is especially interesting to me. I hope my library has it and the others on your list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just placed Marti's Song of Freedom in my To-Read stack on Goodreads - I just read Miguel's Brave Knight and fell in love with Margarita Engle's writing all over again. Oh! I totally missed Poe's birthday - I had a chance to visit his home while we were in Baltimore - he is an absolute favourite too. And amen to Stephen King, whom I also unabashedly enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of horror of any kind. I can manage a wee bit creepy, but suspect this book would give me nightmares. The Librarian of Auschwitz has been added to my want to read list.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs