Friday, February 20, 2015

Poetry Friday: Picture-Books in Winter by Robert Louis Stevenson


This week's poetry party is being hosted by Linda at Teacher Dance.  Thanks for hosting today, Linda.  Be sure to hop on over there to see what other poems are being shared today.

Even though the poem "Picture-Books in Winter" by Robert Louis Stevenson was published in 1905 in his poetry anthology A Child's Garden of Verses, I suspect when the temperature drops, and snow falls the way it has been lately, young readers all over the world still stay in and read picture books with parents, friends and/or older siblings in a hopefully toastly warm place.  


Picture-Books in Winter 


Summer fading, winter comes -
Frosty mornings, tingling thumbs,
Window robins, winter rooks,
And the picture story-books.
Water now is turned to stone
Nurse and I can walk upon;
Still we find the flowing brooks
In the picture story-books.
All the pretty things put by,
Wait upon the children's eye,
Sheep and shepherds, trees and crooks,
In the picture story-books.
We may see how all things are,
Seas and cities, near and far,
And the flying fairies' looks,
In the picture story-books.
How am I to sing your praise,
Happy chimney-corner days, 
Sitting safe in nursery nooks,
Reading picture story-books?

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, illustrated by Jessie Wilcox Smith
Charles Scribner's Sons, 1905, 105 pages
Digitally available at Project Gutenberg

11 comments:

  1. Love this, Alex: "All the pretty things put by,/Wait upon the children's eye," and the "Happy chimney-corner days," brings to mind times of long ago, doesn't it? I have a new home in these past two years, & miss the fireplace of my former one. Coziness is a good thing, IF you don't need to go out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this poem does bring up a nice feeling of coziness on a cold cold day, which is why it was so appealing this week. Thanks again, for hosting Poetry Friday.

      Delete
  2. Funny, I was familiar with the illustration, but not the poem. I'm glad to be introduced to "Picture-Books in Winter." Beloved as picture books are today, it is striking to think of the important role they served for kids in a cold winter with fewer entertainment options. Lucky kids! I love "Sitting safe in nursery nooks" and how it is anticipated with the beautiful setting-the-scene line early on "Window robins, winter rooks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people know the illustration, it is just so wonderful. I love the part about "Sitting safe in nursery nooks" even though most of us don't have nursery nooks, we do have favorite placed to read picture books to our kids, I think.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorites! So nice to reread it on this very cold afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed rereading it. It seems perfect for the winter most of the country is suffering with.

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful poem. "How am I to sing your praise..." indeed! Thanks for sharing it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - I think it's a wonderful poem, too.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this poem! Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness for picture books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the illustration of this little girl reading :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs